HDB registered renovation contractor
We make better habitat.
How an HDB registered renovation contractor guarantees peace of mind
Only an HDB registered renovation contractor approved by the Government is allowed to work on Housing & Development Board (HDB) flats in Singapore, which house 80% of the country’s population. The main aim of the Registered Renovation Contractors’ Scheme is to safeguard the structural integrity of public housing buildings while ensuring work is carried out safely, without inconvenience to neighbours.
Although the Government issues a disclaimer that the system doesn’t in itself guarantee standards of workmanship, contractors are required, as part of the qualification process, to obtain a Renovation for Public Housing certificate to demonstrate their professionalism. The Renovation for Public Housing course covers various aspects of renovation including electrical work, and requirements stipulated by building regulations, technical guidelines, and the like.
So, while the Singapore Government may be playing it safe legally, by distancing itself from any disputes between renovation companies and clients, the HDB Registered Renovation Contractors’ Scheme still provides evidence that contractors who have been accredited are, in general, proficient, reliable, and conscientious and are unlikely to go bust in the middle of your remodelling project. In fact, to become an HDB registered renovation contractor, it’s necessary to provide evidence of an unblemished track record.
To qualify as a registered renovation contractor, applicants have to demonstrate:
- Ownership of the company – plus registration with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) – for at least 12 months.
- A faultless record in providing renovation services.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in remodelling works and active involvement in the renovation trade.
- Adequate financial resources and a proper staff establishment.
- Paid-up capital of at least $30,000, if a private limited company.
- Successful completion of the Renovation for Public Housing training programme.
- Ownership and management of the company is not in the hands of an undischarged bankrupt or anyone with a criminal record.
Wish to speak with a friendly, experienced renovator about your needs?
Self-regulation, security, and professionalism
To encourage companies to self-regulate and maintain a consistent level of performance, HDB operates a Demerit Points System within the Registered Renovation Contractors’ Scheme, which penalises anyone failing to stick to its rules. Infringements result in various penalties, including fines and suspension or exclusion from the scheme.
In the interests of security, the Government urges registered renovation contractors to take crime-prevention measures during a renovation, such as using close-shackled fastenings to secure apartments, rather than number locks; never leaving the flat unattended, even for a short spell; and making sure all doors and windows are secured before leaving.
In 2014, HDB further safeguarded the property of HDB residents by tightening renovation regulations “to help raise the professionalism of the renovation industry as a whole.” These measures stipulated that registered renovation contractors could use only certified workers to carry out demolition jobs such as dismantling structural walls.
HDB registered renovation contractors in the Singapore private sector
Applicants of the Registered Renovation Contractors’ Scheme must provide evidence of 5 successfully-completed renovations of private property, with a total sum of at least $50,000. This clause not only ensures HDB dwellers get an experienced, reliable contractor, it also provides an important reference point for people looking to hire a renovation company for non-public housing apartments, bungalows, condominiums and landed residences, and commercial remodelling.
In other words, if you’re considering a renovation project, HDB or private, you know that an HDB registered renovation contractor has not only met the rigorous requirements of the Singapore Government, but also demonstrated its expertise in the non-public sector.
Need help from a reliable and reasonably-priced renovation expert?
Why choose Kepha Design and Contracts
We take ownership of our actions by taking responsibility.
With its HDB Registered Renovation Contractors’ Scheme, the Government is maintaining its commitment to the ethos expressed in its maxim of “Integrity, Service and Excellence” in providing services to the public. These qualities also lie at the heart of the business philosophy of Kepha Design and Contracts in Singapore.
Since Kepha was established in 1998, the company has gained a strong reputation for reliability, diligence, and customer-focus in both commercial renovation projects and as an HDB registered renovation contractor.
Through our expertise, quality of craftsmanship and outstanding level of client satisfaction, we have become known as the renovation contractor you can trust. Kepha employs only the most qualified staff and sub-contractors, and our experienced builders are backed by a dynamic, innovative interior design team.
If you’re considering a home renovation – particularly one requiring the services of an HDB registered renovation contractor – or a remodelling of business premises, this is what Kepha Design and Contracts can offer you:
- Site evaluation. We conduct walk-throughs on renovation sites with the client, to review existing conditions and help the customer to visualise how we can meet their specific requirements, while pointing out design opportunities they may have missed. We’ll also identify any potential snags.
- Space planning. Our designers are adept at helping clients to achieve their project priorities and goals, while making the best use of available space and producing an aesthetically-pleasing organisation of pattern, structure, and colour to pull the whole remodel together.
- Interior design. Kepha specialises in the art of creating living and working environments that make people feel happy in their surroundings. Interior design impacts on how people identify with spaces, and we create cohesive configurations of shapes and forms that are functional while actually making people feel better within themselves.
- Project management. Kepha keeps its finger on the pulse throughout your renovation project, to guarantee it’s brought in on time and within budget, without cutting corners or skimping on materials. Our experience enables us to take any unforeseen problems in our stride.
- Quality renovation building works. Kepha strives to create the perfect balance of functionality and style while making sure your project satisfies any and all health and safety codes and regulations. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is reflected in the fact that our renovations stand the test of time.
- Peace of mind. Kepha liaises with architects and engineers to ensure your building is structurally sound before starting any residential, commercial, or industrial renovation work. During the job, we’ll do everything we can to minimise inconvenience and disruption, while keeping you updated on progress.
Integrity, service, and excellence
As an HDB registered renovation contractor, Kepha Design and Contracts has a wealth of experience and expertise in transforming homes into inspirational spaces. We can make your house – HDB or private – the mood-enhancing home of your dreams.
We also offer a broad range of commercial renovation services; we can transform your office into a place where people enjoy working and your shop into an attractive prospect for both staff and customers.
We base our renovation schemes on unified, cohesive, functional, and aesthetic design principles of scale, balance, proportion, and emphasis. Social, ecological, and economic considerations are also important to us, and we can guarantee the quality and durability of our work as we provide a renovation service that satisfies our own exacting standards and surpasses the expectations of our clients.
If you’re looking to engage the services of a Government HDB registered renovation contractor, remember that the administration’s motto, “Integrity, Service and Excellence”, is equally applicable to the core values that have established Kepha Design and Contracts as a trustworthy, conscientious company with professional standards of the highest level.
Seeking a customer-focused and trusted renovation company? We're built on these foundations.
If you wish request a cost estimate, or want to find out more about the services we provide, or just have a question to ask, you may contact us in any one of these 3 ways. We'll respond to you within 3 working days.